Create or edit a category
You can use custom categories to control what categories are shown in the app and against which Xero accounts they are synced.
- Go to the Expend dashboard at app.expend.io and log in with your Expend account details.
- Under Organisation, click Categories.
- Click Create to create a new category.
Or, to edit an existing category, click one of the categories in the list to open it.
- Fill in the required details (see below) and click Create.
Or, if you edited an existing category, click Update.
- Name: This is also the option that is displayed in the app.
- Tax type: The tax rate that will be selected by default when a user chooses the category in the app. Users can select a different tax rate if required.
- Group: For display and sorting purposes only.
- Search terms: To help you find the category in the future. Separate terms with a comma.
Set the category mapping
After setting up your custom category, map it to a Xero account so that expenses with that category will automatically be synced to that account.
- On the dashboard, go to Integrations and click Xero.
- Go to the Set Account Mappings section and find your category.
- Click the drop-down list and select the Xero account.
- When you have finished editing mappings, go to the top of the Set Account Mappings section and click Save.
- Only users with the Administrator role can manage categories.
- You can also delete a category if required: click Categories, click the category to open it, and then click Delete.