Expense reviewal gives you control over when expenses are synced to your accounting system. Users with the appropriate role can review expenses submitted by cardholders and other users in the organisation. This in turn helps you to ensure that expenses comply with your organisation’s requirements, to manage the reimbursement process, and to reclaim costs for invalid or incorrectly submitted expenses.
Before you start
If you are a user of Xero and Expend’s Xero integration, a couple of quick changes are needed in your Xero configuration.
- Go to your Expend dashboard and click Xero.
- Under Set Control Accounts, click Create Xero Account.
- In the form that opens, select Current Asset, enter an account name (e.g. “Rejected Expenses”) and code, and click Create Account.
- In the Rejected Expenses drop-down list, select the account you created.
- Click Save.
- Under Set Account Mappings, turn the Require Review Before Syncing Expenses setting on or off. (See below for more information.)
- Click Save.
The “Require Review Before Syncing Expenses” setting
When users save expense details on the Expend dashboard or in the Expend app, this setting determines when expense details (including attachments) are synced to Xero.
- If turned ON, expense details and attachments are synced only once an expense is approved or rejected. Rejected expenses are allocated to the Rejected Expenses control account.
- If turned OFF, expense details and attachments are synced to Xero as soon as they are saved by the user. Expenses may still be approved or rejected.
Note that all Expend card transactions are synced to Xero no matter whether this setting is turned on or off. The setting pertains to expense details added by the user – category (and whether the transaction is allocated to the mapped account), tax type and description, as well as attachments.
Reviewing an expense
You need the Administrator or Accountant role to review and approve expenses.
- On the dashboard, click Review Expenses. A list of submitted expenses opens.
- Select the expense status at the top of the table. To review new (not yet reviewed) expenses, select Open.
- Click an expense in the list. Details are displayed on the right.
- (Optional) Make any changes required to the expense. You can add and/or edit expense lines and add attachments. Click an expense line to open and edit it.
- Click Add Review in the upper-right corner.
- Select an outcome and optionally enter a comment.
- Click Submit.
You can also view expenses with changes requested or expenses that have been approved or rejected by selecting the corresponding filter at the top of the table.
What happens next?
If you approve or reject an expense, and Require Review Before Syncing Expenses is turned on, the expense details and attachments submitted by the user are now synced to Xero.
Depending on your settings, the outcome selected also effects the following:
- The transaction in Xero is allocated to the account mapped to the selected category.
- “Approved by” and the name of the reviewer is added to the transaction.
- The transaction in Xero is allocated to the Rejected Expenses account.
- The cardholder is notified by email that the expense has not been approved.
- “Rejected by” and the name of the reviewer is added to the transaction.
- If Require Review Before Syncing Expenses is turned on, details are not synced to Xero at this point.
- The cardholder is notified by email that changes are required.
- The comment is simply recorded against the expense.
- If Require Review Before Syncing Expenses is turned on, expense details are not synced to Xero at this point.