To use Expend with QuickBooks, you need to connect your company's Expend and QuickBooks accounts and configure some syncing options. This only needs to be done once (but you can make changes in the future if necessary).
To set up your QuickBooks integration:
- Go to Expend dashboard at app.expend.io.
- Click QuickBooks.
- Follow the steps to connect to QuickBooks and configure syncing. All setup and configuration for syncing Expend with QuickBooks is done on this page.
Before you start
- Ensure that you have set up VAT in your QuickBooks account. In QuickBooks, click Taxes, and then click Set up VAT, if necessary.
- When you set up the integration, Expend automatically creates an account named Expend Account in your Chart of Accounts. Please do not add an account in QuickBooks with this name.
1. Turn on QuickBooks syncing
The QuickBooks Syncing box shows whether Expend is currently connected to QuickBooks.
Connecting to QuickBooks
- Click the Connect button to connect your QuickBooks account and your Expend account. You’ll be redirected to QuickBooks.
- Sign in to your QuickBooks account and click Connect to authorise your data to be securely shared with Expend. You’ll be returned to the Expend dashboard to continue setup.
Disconnecting from QuickBooks
To disconnect and stop syncing, simply click the Disconnect button.
2. Set control accounts
Expend needs a number of new accounts in your QuickBooks Chart of Accounts. These are used to record transactions made with Expend cards, to record expense claims created in Expend, and to keep track of money loaded into your float account.
Note: This step only needs to be completed the first time you set up syncing.
The following control accounts are required:
- Fund Control for transactions loading money to your float account
- Uncategorised Expenses for Expend card transactions not yet assigned a category or for which the category isn’t mapped to a QuickBooks account
- Rejected Expenses for transactions submitted as expenses but rejected during expense reviewal
- Employee Reimbursement to track expense claims created manually.
You can create these accounts directly in your QuickBooks Chart of Accounts. We recommend creating new accounts instead of using existing accounts. Note the required account type for each:
- Fund Control – Current Asset account in QuickBooks
- Uncategorised Expenses – Expense account in QuickBooks
- Rejected Expenses – Current Asset account in QuickBooks
- Employee Reimbursement – Current Liability account in QuickBooks
To set the control accounts:
- Create the accounts in QuickBooks as described above.
- On the Expend dashboard, go back to the QuickBooks page.
- Refresh the page so that the new accounts can be retrieved from QuickBooks.
- Go to the Set Control Accounts box
- For each control account, select the appropriate QuickBooks account from the drop-down list
- Click Save.
3. Set tax mapping
In the Set tax mapping box, select which of the tax codes in QuickBooks should be the default for the VAT options in Expend. Click Save.
4. Set configuration options
4.1. Expense reviewal
You may want to review and approve expense reports from your organisation’s Expend card users before letting them sync to QuickBooks. If so, set the slider for Require Review Before Syncing Expenses to the on position. Transactions will still sync, but expense details will only sync once an expense has been approved. If an expense is rejected, the transaction will be moved to the Rejected Expenses control account (see 2, above) so that it can be reclaimed from the cardholder.
Note: If you change this setting in the future without making other changes to your configuration, please make sure you still click Save to apply the change.
4.2. Start date
Under Start syncing expenses from date, click the calendar button and select the date from which expenses created in Expend should be synced. Expenses before this date won’t be synced to QuickBooks.
4.3. Account mappings
When you submit an expense report for a transaction in Expend, you can select a category for that expense, such as Travel, Entertainment, Office supplies, and so on. Using the category you selected, Expend files it to the appropriate account in your QuickBooks Chart of Accounts. In this section, you can set up which Expend category maps to which QuickBooks account.
5. Save your configuration
Click Save and Start Sync to finish and save your configuration. If you make changes in the future, your updated settings will apply to all new transactions and expenses.