You can access the mileage settings and change the default settings on the Company Settings page, accessible from your Profile menu.
- On the dashboard, click the button in the top right corner and select Company Settings.
- Click Mileage.
- Under General, select the units to use for mileage claims (kilometres or miles).
- Select the expense category for mileage claims. (If you want to create a new category, see Custom Categories.)
How it works
- A mileage Policy comprises Policy Rates, which in turn contain Rules.
- Policy Rates are valid for specific periods. You must specify the start date, but you can leave the end date empty so that the rate remains in place until you make changes.
- A rate must contain at least one Rule, up to as many as are necessary. Here you can the rate at which claims are reimbursed for different distances, engine sizes and fuel types.
Before you start
Please note the following:
- You can create multiple mileage policies, but keep in mind that users have to select the correct policy when creating a mileage claim.
- After saving a mileage policy, you can’t edit or delete existing policy rates. If you want to make changes, you'll need to create a new policy (more about this below).
- When a user creates a mileage claim, the appropriate rule is automatically selected. If more than one rule could apply, the first applicable rule in the list will be selected.
- Important: Ensure that one of your rules has 0 or Any in the “from” field for Mileage range and Engine range.
Adding a mileage policy
- On the Mileage Settings page, in the Mileage Policies box, click + Add Policy.
- Enter a name and optionally a description.
- Click + Add Rate.
- Enter a Valid from date and optionally a Valid to date, then click Create.
- Under Policy Rates, click + Add Rule. Here you can specify different rates for different distances, engine sizes and fuel types.
- Enter a Mileage range, Engine range, Fuel type, and Rate per mile or kilometre. Except for Rate, you can leave any field empty to specify “Any”.
- Optional: Under Policy Rates, click + Add Rule to add another rule to your rate.
- Optional: Click + Add Rate (upper right corner) to add another rate to the policy. Note that the validity periods for different rates are not allowed to overlap.
- Click Save and confirm.
Editing a mileage policy
You can only edit the following for an existing policy:
- You can change the name and description.
- You can change the date to which an existing policy rate is valid.
- You can add new policy rates containing their own rules, as long as the dates of different policy rates don't overlap.
If you need to make changes to the start dates or individual rules within a policy, you either have to start over, or you can use the existing mileage policy as a template to start from.
To use an existing policy as a basis for a new one, do the following:
- On the Mileage Settings page, click + Add Policy.
- In the upper left corner of the page, click Duplicate From Policy.
- Select the relevant policy and click Duplicate. You get a policy with the same policy rates and rules that can be edited as required.
- Make the necessary changes and click Save.
- Optional: On the Mileage Settings page, find the original mileage policy, click View, and then click Delete.